By Georgia L. Irby
A spouse to technological know-how, expertise, and medication in historical Greece and Rome brings a clean viewpoint to the learn of those disciplines within the old international, with 60 chapters studying those issues from numerous serious and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean standpoint to the examine of technological know-how, expertise, and drugs within the historic global, with 60 chapters reading those subject matters from quite a few severe and technical perspectives
- Begins assurance in six hundred BCE and contains sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those rules into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, options, and events in historic technology, expertise, and medication in the old, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st specializes in mathematical and usual sciences; the second one specializes in cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
Even if shortlived, Lysimachus' Hellespontine empire foreshadowed these of Pergamum and Byzantium. Lund's e-book units his activities considerably in the context of the risky early Hellenistic international and perspectives them as a part of a continuum of imperial rule in Asia minor. She demanding situations the belief that he used to be a vicious, yet eventually incompetent tyrant.
A ground-breaking edited assortment charting the increase and fall of different types of unfree labour within the historic Mediterranean and within the sleek Atlantic, utilizing the method of comparative heritage. The 11 chapters within the e-book care for conceptual concerns and varied ways to historic comparability, and contain particular case-studies starting from the traditional kinds of slavery of classical Greece and of the Roman empire to the fashionable examples of slavery that characterized the Caribbean, Latin the United States and the USA.
Browne's recognized paintings, first released in 1902, was once the basic textual content on literary background in Persian stories for a few years. As an summary of Persian literature from the earliest instances till Firdawsi, it remains to be a worthy reference. Out of print for it slow, it's now reissued as a library version, in facsimile to seize the texture of the unique variation.
The advance of technology within the sleek global is frequently held to depend upon such associations as universities, peer-reviewed journals, and democracy. How, then, did new technological know-how emerge within the pre-modern tradition of the Hellenistic Egyptian monarchy? Berrey argues that the court docket society shaped round the Ptolemaic pharaohs Ptolemy III and IV (reigned successively 246-205/4 BCE) supplied an viewers for cross-disciplinary, realized wisdom, as physicians, mathematicians, and mechanicians clothed themselves within the virtues of courtiers attendant at the kings.
- The Ludi Saeculares of Septimius Severus: The Ideologies of a New Roman Empire
- The Roman Empire in Context: Historical and Comparative Perspectives (Ancient World: Comparative Histories)
- Health and Wellness in Antiquity through the Middle Ages (Health and Wellness in Daily Life)
- Narbonne and its Territory in Late Antiquity: From the Visigoths to the Arabs
- Themistius, Julian and Greek Political Theory under Rome
- Sex and the Second-Best City: Sex and Society in the Laws of Plato (Studies in Classics)
Extra info for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Georgia L. Irby