By Paul Erdkamp
- An broad account of the Roman military, from its beginnings to its transformation within the later Roman Empire
- Examines the military as an army laptop – its recruitment, education, association, strategies and weaponry
- Explores the connection of the military to Roman politics, economics and society extra broadly
- Considers the geography and weather of the lands within which the Romans fought
- Each bankruptcy is written by way of a number one professional in a selected subfield and takes account of the most recent scholarly and archaeological examine in that area
Read or Download A Companion to the Roman Army (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
Even though shortlived, Lysimachus' Hellespontine empire foreshadowed these of Pergamum and Byzantium. Lund's booklet units his activities considerably in the context of the unstable early Hellenistic global and perspectives them as a part of a continuum of imperial rule in Asia minor. She demanding situations the belief that he used to be a vicious, yet finally incompetent tyrant.
A ground-breaking edited assortment charting the increase and fall of sorts of unfree labour within the historic Mediterranean and within the glossy Atlantic, applying the technique of comparative heritage. The 11 chapters within the booklet care for conceptual matters and diversified techniques to historic comparability, and comprise particular case-studies starting from the traditional varieties of slavery of classical Greece and of the Roman empire to the fashionable examples of slavery that characterized the Caribbean, Latin the US and the USA.
Browne's recognized paintings, first released in 1902, used to be the basic textual content on literary historical past in Persian stories for a few years. As an outline of Persian literature from the earliest instances till Firdawsi, it is still a important reference. Out of print for it slow, it truly is now reissued as a library version, in facsimile to seize the texture of the unique variation.
The improvement of technology within the smooth global is frequently held to rely on such associations as universities, peer-reviewed journals, and democracy. How, then, did new technological know-how emerge within the pre-modern tradition of the Hellenistic Egyptian monarchy? Berrey argues that the courtroom society shaped round the Ptolemaic pharaohs Ptolemy III and IV (reigned successively 246-205/4 BCE) supplied an viewers for cross-disciplinary, realized wisdom, as physicians, mathematicians, and mechanicians clothed themselves within the virtues of courtiers attendant at the kings.
- Pliny's Encyclopedia
- Age of Conquests: The Greek World from Alexander to Hadrian (336 BC – AD 138)
- Apollonius of Rhodes and the Spaces of Hellenism (Classical Culture and Society)
- The ‘Hippocratic’ Corpus: Content and Context
- The Fourth Crusade: Event, Aftermath, and Perceptions: Papers from the Sixth Conference of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East, ... 25-29 August 2004 (Crusades - Subsidia)
Extra info for A Companion to the Roman Army (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Roman Army (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Erdkamp