By Marc Van De Mieroop
- Integrates the main updated learn, and contains a richer choice of supplementary materials
- Addresses the wide range of political, social, and cultural advancements within the old close to East
- Updated good points comprise new “Key Debate” containers on the finish of every bankruptcy to interact scholars with a number of views on a number of severe concerns; a complete timeline of occasions; and forty six new illustrations, together with 12 colour photos
- Features a brand new bankruptcy addressing governance and continuity within the zone in the course of the Persian Empire
- Offers in-depth, available discussions of key texts and resources, together with the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh
Read Online or Download A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. 3000-323 BC (Blackwell History of the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
Even supposing shortlived, Lysimachus' Hellespontine empire foreshadowed these of Pergamum and Byzantium. Lund's ebook units his activities considerably in the context of the risky early Hellenistic global and perspectives them as a part of a continuum of imperial rule in Asia minor. She demanding situations the idea that he used to be a vicious, yet finally incompetent tyrant.
A ground-breaking edited assortment charting the increase and fall of different types of unfree labour within the old Mediterranean and within the sleek Atlantic, applying the technique of comparative historical past. The 11 chapters within the ebook take care of conceptual matters and assorted ways to ancient comparability, and comprise particular case-studies starting from the traditional varieties of slavery of classical Greece and of the Roman empire to the fashionable examples of slavery that characterized the Caribbean, Latin the US and the USA.
Browne's well-known paintings, first released in 1902, was once the basic textual content on literary background in Persian reports for a few years. As an outline of Persian literature from the earliest occasions until eventually Firdawsi, it is still a priceless reference. Out of print for your time, it really is now reissued as a library variation, in facsimile to trap the texture of the unique variation.
The improvement of technological know-how within the glossy international is usually held to depend upon such associations as universities, peer-reviewed journals, and democracy. How, then, did new technology emerge within the pre-modern tradition of the Hellenistic Egyptian monarchy? Berrey argues that the court docket society shaped round the Ptolemaic pharaohs Ptolemy III and IV (reigned successively 246-205/4 BCE) supplied an viewers for cross-disciplinary, realized wisdom, as physicians, mathematicians, and mechanicians clothed themselves within the virtues of courtiers attendant at the kings.
- M. I. Finley: An Ancient Historian and his Impact (Cambridge Classical Studies)
- Travels to Tana and Persia, by Josafa Barbaro and Ambrogio Contarini (Hakluyt Society, First Series)
- Animals, Gods and Humans: Changing Attitudes to Animals in Greek, Roman and Early Christian Thought
- The Monetary Systems of the Greeks and Romans
Extra info for A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. 3000-323 BC (Blackwell History of the Ancient World)
A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. 3000-323 BC (Blackwell History of the Ancient World) by Marc Van De Mieroop