By Tara Nummedal
Drawing on felony trial documents, contracts, laboratory inventories, satires, and vernacular alchemical treatises, Alchemy and Authority within the Holy Roman Empire situates the typical alchemists, mostly invisible to fashionable students beforehand, on the heart of the advance of early glossy technology and trade. Reconstructing the workaday global of entrepreneurial alchemists, Tara Nummedal indicates how allegations of fraud formed their practices and customers. those debates not just exhibit vastly assorted understandings of what the “real” alchemy was once and who may perform it; additionally they attach a collection of little-known practitioners to the most important questions on trade, belief, and highbrow authority in early glossy Europe.
Read Online or Download Alchemy and Authority in the Holy Roman Empire PDF
Similar history & philosophy on science & nature books
Nuclear strength, stem mobilephone know-how, GMOs: the extra technological know-how advances, the extra society turns out to withstand. yet are we actually gazing a loss of life fight among opposing forces, as such a lot of could have it? Can today’s advanced technical coverage judgements coincide with the desires of a participatory democracy?
Of the best evolutionary occasions within the background of lifestyles in the world happened in the course of Early Paleozoic time. the 1st used to be the Cambrian explosion of skeletonized marine animals approximately 540 million years in the past. the second one used to be the "Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event," that's the point of interest of this e-book.
In den letzten beiden Jahrzehnten hat die wissenschaftliche Beschäftigung mit dem Phänomen Bild an Umfang und Intensität weiter zugenommen. Je nach Fachrichtung werden sehr unterschiedliche methodische Zugänge gewählt, die mit entsprechend differierenden Hintergrundtheorien verbunden sind. In welchem Verhältnis stehen Methoden und Hintergrundtheorien?
In 1984, Noel Swerdlow and Otto Neugebauer argued that Nicolaus Copernicus (1473–1543) defined planetary movement through the use of mathematical units and astronomical types initially built by way of Islamic astronomers within the 13th and fourteenth centuries. used to be this a parallel improvement, or did Copernicus by some means study of the paintings of his predecessors, and if that is so, how?
- Scientific Structuralism: 281 (Boston Studies in the Philosophy and History of Science)
- Communication Rights and Social Justice: Historical Accounts of Transnational Mobilizations (Global Transformations in Media and Communication Research - A Palgrave and IAMCR Series)
- Die Mathematik als Denkwerk: Eine Studie zur kommunikativen und visuellen Performanz mathematischen Wissens (Wissen, Kommunikation und Gesellschaft) (German Edition)
- Medieval Science, Technology, and Medicine: An Encyclopedia (Routledge Encyclopedias of the Middle Ages)
- Science and Civilisation in China: Volume 6, Biology and Biological Technology, Part 6, Medicine
- Mind and Nature: Selected Writings on Philosophy, Mathematics, and Physics
Extra resources for Alchemy and Authority in the Holy Roman Empire
Alchemy and Authority in the Holy Roman Empire by Tara Nummedal