By Gesa Stedman
Read Online or Download Cultural Exchange in Seventeenth-Century France and England PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
The courtship and remarriage of a wealthy widow used to be a well-liked motif in early glossy comedian theatre. Jennifer Panek brings jointly a large choice of texts, from ballads and jest-books to sermons and courtroom files, to check the staple widow of comedy in her cultural context and to check early smooth attitudes to remarriage.
A clean biography of Mary Tudor which demanding situations traditional perspectives of her as a weeping hysteric and love-struck romantic, delivering in its place the portrait of a queen who drew on resources of authority to extend the facility of her place: epistolary conventions and the rhetoric of chivalry that imbued the French and English courts.
This ebook explores the resistance of 3 English poets to Francis Bacon's undertaking to revive humanity to Adamic mastery over nature, relocating past a dialogue of the strain among Bacon and those poetic voices to indicate theywere additionally debating the narrative of humanity's highbrow path.
This booklet is a demanding and interesting choice of unique essays at the novels of Alan Hollinghurst, Britain’s most well known homosexual author and the English novel’s grasp stylist. The essays interact the precarious and transferring courting among intercourse and literary sensibility in his novels and, hence, additionally try to identify the parameters of a brand new serious discourse for destiny examine on Hollinghurst’s novel, queer conception and the modern literary representations of masculinity and sexuality.
- Women, Space and Utopia 1600–1800 (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- The Holy Land in English Culture 1799-1917: Palestine and the Question of Orientalism (Oxford English Monographs)
- Transatlantic Literary Exchanges, 1790–1870: Gender, Race, and Nation (Ashgate Series in Nineteenth-Century Transatlantic Studies)
- Children's Literature, Popular Culture, and Robinson Crusoe (Critical Approaches to Children's Literature)
- In Defiance of Time: Antiquarian Writing in Early Modern England
Extra resources for Cultural Exchange in Seventeenth-Century France and England
Cultural Exchange in Seventeenth-Century France and England by Gesa Stedman