By John Bodel,Saul M. Olyan
- Advances our realizing of family and familial faith, rather than state-sponsored or civic temple cults
- Reconstructs family and relations non secular practices in Egypt, Greece, Rome, Israel, Mesopotamia, Ugarit, Emar, and Philistia
- Explores many loved ones rituals, equivalent to delivering for ancestral spirits, and petitioning of a household's buyer deities or of spirits linked to the home itself
- Examines lifecycle rituals – from being pregnant and beginning to adulthood, previous age, loss of life, and beyond
- Looks at spiritual practices in relation to the family either in the domestic itself and different areas, equivalent to at extramural tombs and native sanctuaries
Read Online or Download Household and Family Religion in Antiquity (Ancient World: Comparative Histories) PDF
Similar ancient history books
Even if shortlived, Lysimachus' Hellespontine empire foreshadowed these of Pergamum and Byzantium. Lund's booklet units his activities considerably in the context of the unstable early Hellenistic global and perspectives them as a part of a continuum of imperial rule in Asia minor. She demanding situations the belief that he used to be a vicious, yet finally incompetent tyrant.
A ground-breaking edited assortment charting the increase and fall of varieties of unfree labour within the historic Mediterranean and within the sleek Atlantic, making use of the method of comparative background. The 11 chapters within the booklet care for conceptual matters and assorted techniques to ancient comparability, and contain particular case-studies starting from the traditional sorts of slavery of classical Greece and of the Roman empire to the fashionable examples of slavery that characterized the Caribbean, Latin the United States and the U.S..
Browne's well-known paintings, first released in 1902, used to be the basic textual content on literary historical past in Persian reports for a few years. As an summary of Persian literature from the earliest instances until eventually Firdawsi, it is still a invaluable reference. Out of print for your time, it's now reissued as a library variation, in facsimile to trap the texture of the unique version.
The advance of technology within the smooth global is usually held to depend upon such associations as universities, peer-reviewed journals, and democracy. How, then, did new technological know-how emerge within the pre-modern tradition of the Hellenistic Egyptian monarchy? Berrey argues that the court docket society shaped round the Ptolemaic pharaohs Ptolemy III and IV (reigned successively 246-205/4 BCE) supplied an viewers for cross-disciplinary, realized wisdom, as physicians, mathematicians, and mechanicians clothed themselves within the virtues of courtiers attendant at the kings.
- Elis: Internal Politics and External Policy in Ancient Greece (Cities of the Ancient World)
- Pompey the Great (Routledge Revivals)
- Approaches to the Byzantine Family (Birmingham Byzantine and Ottoman Studies)
- Hesiod and Classical Greek Poetry: Reception and Transformation in the Fifth Century BCE
- Greek Gods Abroad: Names, Natures, and Transformations (Sather Classical Lectures)
- Intelligence Activities in Ancient Rome: Trust in the Gods but Verify (Studies in Intelligence)
Additional info for Household and Family Religion in Antiquity (Ancient World: Comparative Histories)
Household and Family Religion in Antiquity (Ancient World: Comparative Histories) by John Bodel,Saul M. Olyan