By Steven J. Reid
Read Online or Download Humanism and Calvinism: Andrew Melville and the Universities of Scotland, 1560–1625 (St Andrews Studies in Reformation History) PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The courtship and remarriage of a wealthy widow was once a well-liked motif in early sleek comedian theatre. Jennifer Panek brings jointly a large choice of texts, from ballads and jest-books to sermons and court docket files, to ascertain the staple widow of comedy in her cultural context and to ascertain early glossy attitudes to remarriage.
A clean biography of Mary Tudor which demanding situations traditional perspectives of her as a weeping hysteric and love-struck romantic, supplying as a substitute the portrait of a queen who drew on resources of authority to extend the facility of her place: epistolary conventions and the rhetoric of chivalry that imbued the French and English courts.
This ebook explores the resistance of 3 English poets to Francis Bacon's venture to revive humanity to Adamic mastery over nature, relocating past a dialogue of the strain among Bacon and those poetic voices to indicate theywere additionally debating the narrative of humanity's highbrow path.
This ebook is a tough and interesting selection of unique essays at the novels of Alan Hollinghurst, Britain’s greatest homosexual author and the English novel’s grasp stylist. The essays have interaction the precarious and moving dating among intercourse and literary sensibility in his novels and, hence, additionally try and determine the parameters of a brand new serious discourse for destiny learn on Hollinghurst’s novel, queer idea and the modern literary representations of masculinity and sexuality.
- The Victorian Novelist: Social Problems and Change: Volume 34 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
- Women and ‘Value’ in Jane Austen’s Novels: Settling, Speculating and Superfluity
- Literature, Religion, and the Evolution of Culture, 1660–1780
- The Return of Theory in Early Modern English Studies, Volume II: 2
- Literature, Immigration, and Diaspora in Fin-de-Siecle England
- William Cobbett, the Press and Rural England: Radicalism and the Fourth Estate, 1792-1835 (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
Extra resources for Humanism and Calvinism: Andrew Melville and the Universities of Scotland, 1560–1625 (St Andrews Studies in Reformation History)
Humanism and Calvinism: Andrew Melville and the Universities of Scotland, 1560–1625 (St Andrews Studies in Reformation History) by Steven J. Reid