By James Walter Caufield
Read or Download Overcoming Matthew Arnold: Ethics in Culture and Criticism PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
The courtship and remarriage of a wealthy widow was once a favored motif in early glossy comedian theatre. Jennifer Panek brings jointly a large choice of texts, from ballads and jest-books to sermons and courtroom documents, to check the staple widow of comedy in her cultural context and to ascertain early smooth attitudes to remarriage.
A clean biography of Mary Tudor which demanding situations traditional perspectives of her as a weeping hysteric and love-struck romantic, supplying in its place the portrait of a queen who drew on assets of authority to extend the ability of her place: epistolary conventions and the rhetoric of chivalry that imbued the French and English courts.
This booklet explores the resistance of 3 English poets to Francis Bacon's venture to revive humanity to Adamic mastery over nature, relocating past a dialogue of the strain among Bacon and those poetic voices to indicate theywere additionally debating the narrative of humanity's highbrow path.
This e-book is a demanding and fascinating selection of unique essays at the novels of Alan Hollinghurst, Britain’s preferable homosexual author and the English novel’s grasp stylist. The essays have interaction the precarious and moving courting among intercourse and literary sensibility in his novels and, hence, additionally try and determine the parameters of a brand new severe discourse for destiny learn on Hollinghurst’s novel, queer conception and the modern literary representations of masculinity and sexuality.
- Modern Poetry and Ethnography: Yeats, Frost, Warren, Heaney, and the Poet as Anthropologist
- Aaron Hill: The Muses' Projector, 1685-1750
- Spatial Engagement with Poetry (Geocriticism and Spatial Literary Studies)
- Banished: Common Law and the Rhetoric of Social Exclusion in Early New England
- Richard Hakluyt and Travel Writing in Early Modern Europe (Hakluyt Society, Extra Series V.47)
- Women's Wealth and Women's Writing in Early Modern England: 'Little Legacies' and the Materials of Motherhood (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
Extra resources for Overcoming Matthew Arnold: Ethics in Culture and Criticism
Overcoming Matthew Arnold: Ethics in Culture and Criticism by James Walter Caufield