By Eric Orlin
The Routledge Encyclopedia of old Mediterranean Religions is the 1st accomplished single-volume reference paintings providing authoritative insurance of historical religions within the Mediterranean global. Chronologically, the volume’s scope extends from pre-historical antiquity within the 3rd millennium B.C.E. throughout the upward thrust of Islam within the 7th century C.E. An interdisciplinary technique attracts out the typical matters and parts among and between spiritual traditions within the Mediterranean basin. Key good points of the quantity comprise:
- Detailed maps of the Mediterranean global, historical Egypt, the Roman Empire, and the Hellenistic World
- A complete timeline of significant occasions, strategies, and members, divided by way of sector to supply either a diachronic and pan-Mediterranean, synchronic view
- A huge geographical variety together with western Asia, northern Africa, and southern Europe
This encyclopedia will function a key element of reference for all scholars and students attracted to historic Mediterranean tradition and society.
Read or Download Routledge Encyclopedia of Ancient Mediterranean Religions PDF
Similar ancient history books
Even if shortlived, Lysimachus' Hellespontine empire foreshadowed these of Pergamum and Byzantium. Lund's booklet units his activities considerably in the context of the risky early Hellenistic international and perspectives them as a part of a continuum of imperial rule in Asia minor. She demanding situations the belief that he was once a vicious, yet eventually incompetent tyrant.
A ground-breaking edited assortment charting the increase and fall of different types of unfree labour within the old Mediterranean and within the smooth Atlantic, utilising the method of comparative historical past. The 11 chapters within the e-book take care of conceptual concerns and diverse ways to historic comparability, and comprise particular case-studies starting from the traditional different types of slavery of classical Greece and of the Roman empire to the trendy examples of slavery that characterized the Caribbean, Latin the US and the us.
Browne's well-known paintings, first released in 1902, was once the basic textual content on literary historical past in Persian experiences for a few years. As an outline of Persian literature from the earliest occasions until eventually Firdawsi, it remains to be a important reference. Out of print for a while, it truly is now reissued as a library variation, in facsimile to catch the texture of the unique version.
The advance of technology within the sleek global is frequently held to depend upon such associations as universities, peer-reviewed journals, and democracy. How, then, did new technological know-how emerge within the pre-modern tradition of the Hellenistic Egyptian monarchy? Berrey argues that the courtroom society shaped round the Ptolemaic pharaohs Ptolemy III and IV (reigned successively 246-205/4 BCE) supplied an viewers for cross-disciplinary, discovered wisdom, as physicians, mathematicians, and mechanicians clothed themselves within the virtues of courtiers attendant at the kings.
- Benefaction and Rewards in the Ancient Greek City: The Origins of Euergetism
- A Narratological Commentary on the Odyssey
- Expectations of Justice in the Age of Augustine
- Banishment in the Later Roman Empire, 284-476 CE (Routledge Studies in Ancient History)
- Obligations in Roman Law: Past, Present, and Future (Papers And Monographs Of The American Academy In Rome)
- Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean
Extra resources for Routledge Encyclopedia of Ancient Mediterranean Religions
Routledge Encyclopedia of Ancient Mediterranean Religions by Eric Orlin