By Todd Timmons
The nineteenth Century was once a interval of great switch within the day-by-day lives of the typical american citizens. by no means sooner than had such switch happened so quickly or and had affected any such large diversity of individuals. And those adjustments have been basically as a result great advances in technology and know-how. a number of the applied sciences that play such an vital position in our everyday life this present day have been first invented in this nice interval of innovation―everything from the railroad to the phone. those innovations have been instrumental within the social and cultural advancements of the time. The Civil warfare, Westward growth, the growth and fall of slave tradition, the increase of the operating and center periods and alterations in gender roles―none of those may have happened as they did had it no longer been for the technological know-how and expertise of the time.
Science and expertise in Nineteenth-Century America chronicles this dating among technology and expertise and the revolutions within the lives of daily americans. the quantity contains a dialogue of:
- Transportation―from the railroad and steamship to the 1st autos showing close to the tip of the century.
- Communication―including the telegraph, the phone, and the photograph
- Industrialization― how the turning out to be manufacturing facility process impacted the lives of operating males and women
- Agriculture―how mechanical units comparable to the McCormick reaper and purposes of technological know-how without end altered how farming used to be performed within the United States
- Exploration and navigations―the technology and expertise of the age used to be the most important to the growth of the rustic that came about within the century, and
Read Online or Download Science and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series: Science and Technology in Everyday Life) PDF
Similar history & philosophy on science & nature books
Nuclear power, stem telephone know-how, GMOs: the extra technological know-how advances, the extra society turns out to withstand. yet are we actually looking at a demise fight among opposing forces, as such a lot of might have it? Can today’s complicated technical coverage judgements coincide with the desires of a participatory democracy?
Of the best evolutionary occasions within the historical past of lifestyles in the world happened in the course of Early Paleozoic time. the 1st was once the Cambrian explosion of skeletonized marine animals approximately 540 million years in the past. the second one used to be the "Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event," that's the focal point of this publication.
In den letzten beiden Jahrzehnten hat die wissenschaftliche Beschäftigung mit dem Phänomen Bild an Umfang und Intensität weiter zugenommen. Je nach Fachrichtung werden sehr unterschiedliche methodische Zugänge gewählt, die mit entsprechend differierenden Hintergrundtheorien verbunden sind. In welchem Verhältnis stehen Methoden und Hintergrundtheorien?
In 1984, Noel Swerdlow and Otto Neugebauer argued that Nicolaus Copernicus (1473–1543) defined planetary movement through the use of mathematical units and astronomical versions initially built by way of Islamic astronomers within the 13th and fourteenth centuries. was once this a parallel improvement, or did Copernicus someway research of the paintings of his predecessors, and if that is so, how?
- Seventy Years of Exploration in Oceanography: A Prolonged Weekend Discussion with Walter Munk
- Vision, Science and Literature, 1870-1920: Ocular Horizons (Sci & Culture in the Nineteenth Century)
- Old Age, New Science: Gerontologists and Their Biosocial Visions, 1900-1960
- Culture of Chemistry: The Best Articles on the Human Side of 20th-Century Chemistry from the Archives of the Chemical Intelligencer
- Gender, Pregnancy and Power in Eighteenth-Century Literature: The Maternal Imagination (Palgrave Studies in Literature, Science and Medicine)
Extra resources for Science and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series: Science and Technology in Everyday Life)
Science and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series: Science and Technology in Everyday Life) by Todd Timmons