By B. Bennett
Read Online or Download The Defective Art of Poetry: Sappho to Yeats PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The courtship and remarriage of a wealthy widow was once a favored motif in early glossy comedian theatre. Jennifer Panek brings jointly a large choice of texts, from ballads and jest-books to sermons and court docket files, to check the staple widow of comedy in her cultural context and to check early glossy attitudes to remarriage.
A clean biography of Mary Tudor which demanding situations traditional perspectives of her as a weeping hysteric and love-struck romantic, delivering as an alternative the portrait of a queen who drew on assets of authority to extend the ability of her place: epistolary conventions and the rhetoric of chivalry that imbued the French and English courts.
This ebook explores the resistance of 3 English poets to Francis Bacon's venture to revive humanity to Adamic mastery over nature, relocating past a dialogue of the stress among Bacon and those poetic voices to signify theywere additionally debating the narrative of humanity's highbrow path.
This booklet is a demanding and interesting selection of unique essays at the novels of Alan Hollinghurst, Britain’s most excellent homosexual author and the English novel’s grasp stylist. The essays interact the precarious and moving courting among intercourse and literary sensibility in his novels and, therefore, additionally try to identify the parameters of a brand new serious discourse for destiny study on Hollinghurst’s novel, queer idea and the modern literary representations of masculinity and sexuality.
- The Memoirs of John Addington Symonds: A Critical Edition (Genders and Sexualities in History)
- Victorian Fiction Beyond the Canon (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- The Complicity of Friends: How George Eliot, G. H. Lewes, and John Hughlings-Jackson Encoded Herbert Spencer’s Secret
- Seventeenth-Century English Recipe Books: Cooking, Physic and Chirurgery in the Works of W.M. and Queen Henrietta Maria, and of Mary Tillinghast: Essential ... â€“ Essential Works Series III, Part Three)
- The Late Medieval Origins of the Modern Novel
Additional info for The Defective Art of Poetry: Sappho to Yeats
The Defective Art of Poetry: Sappho to Yeats by B. Bennett