By James Ermatinger
This research of historic Rome deals a desirable glimpse of what Roman society was once like—from model, to nutrition, to politics and recreation—gathered from literary works, paintings, and archaeological remains.
• makes a speciality of everyday life instead of dates and wars, making for attractive content material for all readers
• deals a bibliography of vital works in addition to on-line and print assets for extra reading
• contains insurance of a breadth of subject matters starting from appearing arts to city making plans and armed forces uniforms to banquets
• positive aspects nearly 250 entries with issues prepared alphabetically
• Connects to nationwide criteria for global history
Read or Download The World of Ancient Rome: A Daily Life Encyclopedia [2 volumes]: A Daily Life Encyclopedia PDF
Best ancient history books
Even if shortlived, Lysimachus' Hellespontine empire foreshadowed these of Pergamum and Byzantium. Lund's booklet units his activities considerably in the context of the unstable early Hellenistic global and perspectives them as a part of a continuum of imperial rule in Asia minor. She demanding situations the idea that he used to be a vicious, yet eventually incompetent tyrant.
A ground-breaking edited assortment charting the increase and fall of varieties of unfree labour within the historic Mediterranean and within the smooth Atlantic, utilizing the technique of comparative background. The 11 chapters within the publication care for conceptual matters and varied ways to old comparability, and contain particular case-studies starting from the traditional types of slavery of classical Greece and of the Roman empire to the trendy examples of slavery that characterized the Caribbean, Latin the United States and the USA.
Browne's well-known paintings, first released in 1902, used to be the basic textual content on literary heritage in Persian stories for a few years. As an summary of Persian literature from the earliest occasions till Firdawsi, it remains to be a invaluable reference. Out of print for a while, it really is now reissued as a library variation, in facsimile to trap the texture of the unique version.
The advance of technology within the smooth international is frequently held to rely on such associations as universities, peer-reviewed journals, and democracy. How, then, did new technology emerge within the pre-modern tradition of the Hellenistic Egyptian monarchy? Berrey argues that the courtroom society shaped round the Ptolemaic pharaohs Ptolemy III and IV (reigned successively 246-205/4 BCE) supplied an viewers for cross-disciplinary, discovered wisdom, as physicians, mathematicians, and mechanicians clothed themselves within the virtues of courtiers attendant at the kings.
- Brides of the Buddha: Nuns' Stories from the Avadanasataka
- Rome, the Greek World, and the East: Volume 1: The Roman Republic and the Augustan Revolution (Studies in the History of Greece and Rome)
- Argos and the Argolid (Routledge Revivals): From the End of the Bronze Age to the Roman Occupation
- The Cult of Saint Thecla: A Tradition of Women's Piety in Late Antiquity (Oxford Early Christian Studies)
- Gender, Manumission, and the Roman Freedwoman
- The Greek Epic Cycle and its Ancient Reception: A Companion
Additional resources for The World of Ancient Rome: A Daily Life Encyclopedia [2 volumes]: A Daily Life Encyclopedia
The World of Ancient Rome: A Daily Life Encyclopedia [2 volumes]: A Daily Life Encyclopedia by James Ermatinger