By Saul M. Olyan
The booklet seeks to discover what acts of formality violence may need entire socio-politically of their specific settings and the ways that engagement with concept from a number of disciplines can give a contribution to our figuring out of formality violence as a phenomenon. It comprises an creation and 8 essays. subject matters comprise cognitive views on iconoclasm, the instrumental dimensions of formality violence opposed to corpses, the ritual of killing towns ("urbicide"), royal rites of army loyalty, the ends entire by way of the violence opposed to Rechab and Baanah in 2 Samuel four, fabric dimensions of the herem and Rwanda genocide in comparison, the alternate of ladies between males and its violent dimensions, and Josiah's ritual attack on Bethel. Authors comprise Debra Scoggins Ballentine, T. M. Lemos, Mark Leuchter, Nathaniel B. Levtow, Susan Niditch, Saul M. Olyan, Rüdiger Schmitt, and Jacob L. Wright.
Read Online or Download Ritual Violence in the Hebrew Bible: New Perspectives PDF
Similar christian reference books
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the previous testomony, exemplified through the ebook of Ruth. each one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi announces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
In his letters, the Apostle Paul can convey either the arrogance that Christ dwells within the believer (Rom. 8:10) and the eager for Christ to come in order that believers can ultimately be united with him (1 Thess. 4:17). Peter Orr develops the case that this under-explored courting among the presence and lack of Christ sheds very important mild on Paul's Christology.
A lot has been written in regards to the lifetime of Jesus in works that regularly declare to be ancient and to hire historic equipment. but purely occasionally are the equipment and the presuppositions concerned made specific. notwithstanding, it has additionally been claimed extra lately decisive swap in our view of the character of ancient wisdom and strategies has taken position, in that the 'modern' has given technique to the 'postmodern'.
John Milton’s epic poem Paradise misplaced consciously seeks to “justify the methods of God to males. ” The Apostle Paul’s magisterial letter to the Romans doesn't quite a bit intend to guard God’s methods as to claim God’s Word—a be aware made public in the gospel. In Romans 9–11 this assertion happens in the context of God’s stricken courting with Israel, either previous and destiny.
- Ezekiel’s Vision Accounts as Interrelated Narratives: A Redaction-Critical and Theological Study (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- The Physically Disabled In Ancient Israel According To The Old Testament And Ancient Near Eastern Sources (Paternoster Biblical Monographs)
- The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1–39: Chapters 1-39 (The New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
- Repetition in Hebrews: Plurality and Singularity in the Letter to the Hebrews, Its Ancient Context, and the Early Church (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
- Luke: 3 (Reformation Commentary on Scripture Series)
- Coins as Cultural Texts in the World of the New Testament
Extra resources for Ritual Violence in the Hebrew Bible: New Perspectives
Ritual Violence in the Hebrew Bible: New Perspectives by Saul M. Olyan